Now Enrolling for 2024. Apply today!

Reflections on Koh Preah


Ava, Sadie and Zander

07th of July, 2018


Cambodia '18

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text letter_spacing=””]*The group is now in Siem Reap touring Angkor Wat. These posts were written while they were working on the project last week but not sent until the group had wifi again today.

Day 1- Today was our first work day on Koh Preah. We worked at the primary school, laying down cement. First we had to make the cement using sand, rocks, cement powder and water. As a team we mixed, layered and smoothed out the cement in front of the school to create an extended patio. Everyone got super dirty and sweaty. It was tons of fun. Throughout the day we also got to say hello to families and check out the baby chickens. They’re very cute! So far, I love the island, it’s beautifully covered in banana, mango, coconut, and Papua trees. I can’t wait to see  what else the island has to offer.  Lee hi ( Good bye)- Ava

Day 2- Today we woke up for the second morning on Koh Preah to the sounds of roosters. For breakfast we had Cambodian French toast, a banquette fried in sweet milk and eggs. After that we went straight to work mixing and laying cement. Following lunch, we headed back to makiing and laying cement. During our lunch break we met with the primary school director. He told us about the school and how they were had a vacancy for an English teacher. He told us how the first building needed work due to some structure damage. We are thrilled to give the students place a play during the wet season. We finished the patio in the afternoon. We wrapped up our evening watching the sunset at our home stay base. – Sadie

Day 4- Today our fourth day in the island, began by being woken up by the sounds of chickens, motorbikes, and boats. After a breakfast of fruit, rice, eggs, and cooked pork, we set off to finish the pathway between the medical center and the main road. With the help of both the workers and some locals, we managed to finish the pathway faster than expected, just in time for our lunch break. After lunch, one of the oldest men in the village, an 88 year old veteran of the Khmer Rouge, came and talked to us about his time during the regime. After an hour rest, we we then went to the medical center to begin unloading supplies and wood from a tractor and then persisted through clearing a mound of stones to make room for future projects. But overall, another great day of island life. – Zander[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]



Footer Questions Box