Given the uncertainty around travel related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we are modifying our deposit policy for Summer 2022. We will not be asking for deposits until January 1, 2022.
After January 1, 2022, a $250 deposit to confirm your space on a program will be required within 1 week of acceptance. This deposit is fully refundable if a student chooses to withdraw 91 or more days prior to the program’s start or if SStS cancels a program.
Please note that deposits are the first payment towards tuition and not an extra fee.
Tuition will be divided into two installments.
- The first installment (50% of tuition) is due 90 days prior to departure.
- The second installment (50% of tuition plus airfare) is due 60 days prior to departure.
Please note that the full tuition balance is due upon acceptance if registration occurs within 30 days of departure.
If you would like to discuss an individual payment plan, please get in touch with our admissions team.
Once a student is enrolled in a program, SStS begins to incur non-refundable expenses related to travel and project preparation. If a student decides not to participate in a program after enrolling, the following financial consequences will result:
- 91+ days prior to departure- SStS will fully refund participants (including the initial deposit).
- 61-90 days prior to departure- SStS will refund all but $250.
- 0-60 days prior to departure- Enrollees forfeit all payments. If another student enrolls in the course during this period, SStS will refund all but $250.
Given the nature of travel-related restrictions and cancellations related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) our COVID-19 specific cancellation policy is as follows:
- If SStS cancels a program due to COVID-19, students may transfer to another program or receive a full tuition refund. Deposits for programs are non-refundable if a program is canceled less than 90 days before departure due to non-refundable expenses incurred by SStS.
General Cancellation Policies:
- If a program is canceled due to low enrollment or health/safety concerns, participants can change to an available program or receive a full refund (including deposit). SStS is not responsible for any costs (airfare and other expenses) incurred by the participant in preparing for the program.
Tuition costs are all-inclusive except for airfare and personal expenditures (e.g. snacks, souvenirs, optional activities). Medical and security evacuation services are included in tuition for international locations.
Additional items not included in tuition:
- Passport and visa fees
- International airfare
- Baggage fees
- Transportation to and from the gateway city (international programs) or program location (U.S. based programs)
- Travel insurance (Participants are responsible for purchasing their own travel insurance)
- Additional costs related to COVID-19 may include but are not limited to testing, insurance, quarantine, entry requirements at the program location, entry requirements for returning to the United States, or other expenses.
International Programs (Outside of U.S.): All students are booked on a group flight together from the gateway city listed on the course page. SStS works with a travel provider to find the least expensive group fares. As a result, it is not possible to use airline miles or credit card benefits for international flights. All programs have an estimated airfare, but participants are responsible for any increase in airfares or taxes levied by the airline. All participants are responsible for arriving at the gateway city in the time frame provided by SStS. More details are provided upon enrollment.
Domestic Programs (U.S.-Based): All participants are responsible for organizing their own transportation to the arrival city. All participants are responsible for being in the arrival city in the time frame provided by SStS. Participants will be met at the airport of the arrival city by SStS course instructors. More details are provided upon enrollment.
covid-19 vaccine requirement:
Shoulder-to-Shoulder will require all students to provide proof of vaccination no later than two weeks prior to program departure. This vaccine requirement is meant to protect our students, partner communities, and course instructors by decreasing the risk of contracting COVID-19.
To read more about our COVID-19 policies please click here.
Passports, visas, and entry requirements:
All participants must have a valid passport for international travel with 6 months or more validity from the date of departure. Passports must also have valid pages left for visas and entry stamps.
Each participant is responsible for securing their own travel visa for programs when required. SStS will advise you on this process but is not responsible for obtaining the visa services. SStS also can not guarantee a visa will be granted to a participant.
Upon admission, participants will be expected to complete a Health History Form and have a Physical Exam performed by a physician. Additionally, participants will be expected to electronically sign all required paperwork, including an Acknowledgment and Assumption of Risk and Release and Indemnity Agreement, prior to departure.
We expect all participants to travel together, adhering to the identical itinerary. We will depart the United States as a group from a gateway city. Exemptions may be made for international students. Additionally, travel inevitably includes “the unexpected” (e.g. weather disruptions, transportation strikes, etc.). SStS will adjust the itinerary accordingly, making the best of uncontrollable situations. Due to the unknown variables in international travel, participants are asked not to make travel plans or to enroll in programs that start immediately after their return. SStS is not responsible for expenses incurred due to missed flights if the group is delayed in their return.